Government Affairs Updates
Government Affairs Update: Summary of Meeting with BOI on Smart Farming
By Tomwit Jarnson, Director, Government Affairs and Public Policy at AMCHAM Thailand.
- BOI: Kanchana Noppun, Executive Director, Nathareekon Saesubak, Senior Investment Promotion Officer, and Patipol Kornkamonpruk, Investment Promotion Officer.
- JFCCT: Bob Fox, Marcelo Souza, Mehdi Saint-Andre, and Wanlapa Yamapai.
- AMCHAM: Tomwit Jarnson, and Timothy Welsh.
The following is a summary of the JFCCT + AMCHAM meeting with BOI on Smart Farming on November 7:
- BOI incentives on Smart Farming are part of the Thailand 4.0 policy.
- The focus is on the promotion of modern agriculture, the use of more automation, and the digitization of the farming sector.
- The purpose of the meeting was for JFCCT and AMCHAM to understand better the BOI policy on Agriculture and Smart Farming which would be of use to members, especially in exploring investment opportunities.
- AMCHAM would like to see how and where members could become more involved in the Smart Farming scheme, as AMCHAM supports Thailand 4.0.
- The Smart Farming incentives are on page 29 of BOI Investment Guide (click to download BOI Incentives on Agriculture).
- Any interested company can apply for the BOI incentives from abroad. Once the project is approved, the company has 6 months to register the company in Thailand. The 6 months period can be extended 3 times (4 months each).
- The incentives are given only to new projects, not retroactively.
- BOI agreed with JFCCT and AMCHAM that the policy might need to be revised and would welcome input and suggestions.
- AMCHAM is considering proposing a list of recommendations to BOI to make the Smart Farming incentives more attractive and welcomes all industry members from this sector to contribute.