AMCHAM CSR Excellence Awards Winners Announced
Over six hundred corporate executives and government leaders gathered for the AMCHAM CSR Excellence Awards, which honor the corporate social responsibility (CSR) programs of member companies. Michael Heath, Chargé d’Affaires of the U.S. Embassy, and H.E. Dr. Kobsak Pootrakool, Deputy Secretary General to the Prime Minister on Political Affairs and former Minister attached to the Prime Minister’s Office, presided over the awards on November 18, recognizing companies with a demonstrated commitment to conducting business responsibly and giving back to society.
Chargé d’Affaires Michael Heath congratulated the assembled companies for their efforts in soft diplomacy, noting that they “illustrate what American companies do so well – engaging in sustainable business practices that improve the lives of your employees, as well as the wellbeing of the communities in which you operate”, following the principles of “doing well by doing good”.
AMCHAM CSR Excellence Recognition is awarded to AMCHAM member companies for their long-term efforts to support Thailand’s sustainable development. Qualifying companies have CSR programs with measurable results that create both economic and social gains for a year or more, high levels of employee involvement, and strong strategic partnerships with Thai organizations. The company mission must also align closely with the goals of the CSR activities. Special designations are also given to firms that have met the rigorous judging standards for three or more consecutive years (Silver); five or more consecutive years (Gold); or ten or more consecutive years (Platinum).
A judging panel made up of senior business executives and government officials selected three projects to receive Special Awards:
- Procter & Gamble won the The Ambassador’s Award for Excellence in Thai-U.S. Partnership for their project “Annual Thailand Wholesale and Retail 4.0 Business Conference.” Presented by Michael Heath, Chargé d’Affaires of the U.S. Embassy, this award recognizes a CSR project that promotes U.S-Thai partnerships that bring U.S. knowledge, expertise, or best practices to Thailand.
- Bank of Ayudhya won or the Excellence in Project Supporting Thai Development for their project “Krungsri Financial Literacy Programme”. Presented by H.E. Dr Kobsak Pootrakool, Deputy Secretary General to the Prime Minister on Political Affairs, this award recognizes excellence in CSR programming that supports a specific Thai government objective.
- MQDC won the Excellence in CSR Projects Award for their project “Resurrection of Urban Canal System for Bangkok”- presented by current and former AMCHAM Presidents Gregory Bastien of American Axle and Jeffrey Nygaard of Seagate Technology.
In 2019, AMCHAM Thailand also welcomed the first group of candidates eligible for Platinum Recognition Status. In honor of their sustained commitment to Thai society, these candidates were invited to compete for the first People’s Choice Awards, determined by vote across the entire AMCHAM membership. There were two award winners representing two budget categories, recognizing that social impact can be achieved at every scale.
- People’s Choice Award: Over 3 Million Baht: WHA Group won for their project “Clean Water for the Planet”.
- People’s Choice Award: Under 3 Million Baht: Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok won for their project “Youth Career Initiative”.
Since the introduction of the AMCHAM CSR Excellence Awards, it has become a signature AMCHAM program, and has been adopted in other countries around the region, including Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam and Myanmar. In 2019, almost 80 companies applied for the awards, and 68 companies met the rigorous qualification standards for recognition. For the complete list, please scroll down.
AMCHAM CSR Excellence Recognition Recipients
Chevron Exploration & Production
Grand Hyatt Erawan
WHA Industrial Development
Bank of Ayudhya
Central Food Retail
Diageo Moet Hennessy
Johnson & Johnson
Laguna Resorts & Hotels
Marriott Thailand Business Council
Procter & Gamble Trading
Shangri-La Hotel Bangkok
Standard Chartered Bank
Robere & Associates
The Athenee Hotel
American Axle & Manufacturing
Baker & McKenzie
Bangkok Marriott Sukhumvit
Phuket Hotel Association
Syngenta Crop Protection
The St. Regis Bangkok