Corporate Social Responsibility Committee
The CSR Committee serves as rallying point and resource center for AMCHAM members who are either developing or improving their CSR strategies.
• Sharing AMCHAM member best practices: Responding to a survey of committee members, leading AMCHAM firms presented their CSR strategies, approaches and case studies. These included presentations from Microsoft, Citibank and Chevron.
• Learning from CSR professionals: A number of leading CSR experts presented to the CSR committee, including:
- Robert MacGregor, one of the founders of Caux Round Table presented real world examples of CSR in action based upon his many decades' experience in the business and academic world.
- Dr. David Ferguson, AIT School of Management, presented some recent management research he conducted in Thailand along with EU and US best practices.
- Geoffrey Carter, long-time Thailand resident and water engineer, gave a special presentation entitled Thailand Floods -- Natural Disaster or Man or Irresponsible Man?
• The AMCHAM CSR Excellence Recognition: The committee’s signature event was the fifth annual AMCHAM CSR Excellence (ACE) Recognition. ACE recognition helps to identify AMCHAM member best practices by understanding the linkages between business operations and society so as to conduct business in a way that creates both long-term economic and social value. This year, we set records for number of applicants (36), number of firms recognized for their CSR excellence (27), number of repeat awardees (16) and number of participants to join the annual AMCHAM Thanksgiving day lunch (286).
COMMITTEE ACTION PLAN
The two perennial challenges facing the Committee are how to boost participation and how to increase the appeal of the AMCHAM CSR Excellence (ACE) Recognition program.
In response to the participation challenge, we are to hold more AMCHAM CSR member case studies. We also plan to hold a CSR site visit tone of the AMCHAM member CSR project site.
We are planning to increase the number of applications by:
1) reaching out to the AMCHAM Phuket committee,
2) reaching out to the AMCHAM Eastern Seaboard committee; and
3) increasing participation of SMEs. For the SMEs, we are going to open a new category and design application criteria that are more relevant to SME CSR practices.
Areas of potential collaboration with AMCHAM member companies and other committees include:
1. CSR case studies presentation
2. CSR site visit
3. Joint committee meetings
4. Participation in ACE recognition program
Richard Bernhard, Kenan Institute
Alex Mavro, Sasin
Council Coordinator: Khun Kittie